Translate

Saturday, February 18, 2012

History of the Finnish Lapphund

Welcome!

I wanted to start this blog to let people know about these amazing dogs! I have never encountered a more intelligent, eager to please breed with such a good temperament. I have been a dog lover all my life but usually had smaller breeds. The Finnish Lapphund captured my heart when I was researching dog breeds and learned of them. Lapphunds, also known as Lapinkoira in Finnish, have a long-standing history as the companions and reindeer-herding breed of the Nordic people known as the Sami. They were not only hard workers but also the family pets of these cold-weather people. The breed has changed very little since this time, undergoing only one major change where the breed split into Swedish and Finnish varieties. The Finnish Lapphund has a longer coat and can come in a variety of colors. They have a trademark curled fluffy tail and very beautiful markings. This breed still retains a strong herding instinct and should be allowed to have a large area to run and play. 


To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment